The Dangers of Smoking ... and Breathing
A 76-year-old woman died Tuesday after catching fire while smoking and using an oxygen tank. Neighbors said Barbara Brouillette was on fire when she ran into her back yard. Fire officials said she caught on fire because she was smoking a cigarette while breathing oxygen from a portable tank.
“Anybody on oxygen is not supposed to smoke,” said John Raymond of the fire marshal’s office. Neighbor Christine Silfvenius said Brouillette, a widow, suffered from heart problems and recently was diagnosed with lung cancer.
“She said, ‘I smoked all my life,”’ Silfvenius said. “She said, ’I had no regrets. I’ve done everything I wanted to do.”
Luckily, I wasn't there long enough to find out. I think I only lasted a week or two. Seems one of the older, white female clerks there had a husband who had apparently had some negative contact with a black man (I don't know if he was killed, injured or just really scared by one). But, I heard a lot of whispers and not long after hearing "I just can't stand to look at any of them ," I got a really cheerful call from the temp agency with a "great new assignment" that I would really love and that they really wanted to send me on because I was "one of their best ." The upside was that the next assigment really was better and I didn't have to worry about that old coot blowing up the building. The downside was that the office had a personal chef who would come in and make us really cool lunches everyday. Oh well! Memories!